Wednesday, September 24, 2008

September 25

Hello again. Did you know that Korea is called the land of the morning calm? Yes now you do. Wow another great week has gone by so fast. Today we are going to the mission home for a sisters luncheon--sweet that means american food. Don't worry they don't usually baby the sisters like this--its rare. And p.s. the elders all live in nicer apartments and have more money for food because the don't travel. Anyway before I get on to the real cool stuff some thoughts.
BYU football wow yes amazing. Today I explained to Sister 방 about the church in america and how a lot of people know about the church through prominent members, Mitt Romney, Steve Young, polygamy (yuck) and BYU football. If thats not missionary work--well yes it is.

The other day I had a dream that I was in Montana and Briggs and I were trying to drive this giant jeep thing that was a stick shift it was a headache. Briggsy try and enjoy senior year. Like Dad always said to me "mission prep" for real dealing with difficult people will be such a benefit to you, and seminary too keep it up. I'm proud of you. Do you BYU application asap so you can get in fast and then kick back (slightly) and enjoy your senior year. You can send me your first album k? Maybe you can just move to korea and become a korean pop star. Ahh Korean culture so fun. 5 Little kids just pointed at me and said "Mi-guk saram" Yes I am an American person--I'm getting used to the staring and pointing, kick of fun. My companion says I am special (in korean) Members at church say they have never seen hair like this before and they all like my white skin and good teeth. Thanks mom and dad! I think each week I will try and do a Korean culture spotlight yes this is a goal.
So this week's Korean culture moment: Anchioves (can't spell) Yes remember on teenage mutant ninja turtles "hold the anchoives" okay koreans love them. They are awful. They are little fish dried and extremely salted. They eat them all the time. I choose kimchi over them. The grocery stores sell them in mass quantities and they scare me in our fridge. My companion likes spam for breakfast. Awesome. I just say thats okay I'll go with cereal without milk (milk is very different here) OKay no more culture for today.

Oh mom yes schools here as way different. Like most other countries they wear uniforms. But Koreans are obsessed with school. They all go to regular school where they all learn english but can't speak it. But these little kids go to hag-one 학 ㅝㄴ where they do specialized school. Like science, english, art, math--these are elementary to high aged kids. The lucky kids get to go to cool taekowndo hagones, and the really expensive ones are the english schools.

Koreans think I know a lot more Korean than I really do. But I have learned a ton in the past 3 weeks. Church is the hardest thing. 6 hours of korean and my brain hurts. But I can pick things out. Its coming slowly. I'm glad I have a Korean trainer--its a blessing. Sure its hard but it was inspired. We are growing in unity and this is becoming a real strength. People see me and want to talk because I am "exotic looking" and then she can supplement and talk about that its not an american church. Yes the church really is the same everywhere. Why? Because its Christ's Restored Gospel here on the earth today.

Okay so now on with the main event. Last thurs-sat. We taught 이 귀 임 (ee, quiy eem(or cuy in spanish sounds the same cuy in spanish is guninea pig--I don't think she knows her name means that in spanish but it also means ear in korean) I'm sorry I really can't romanize their names. I taught her everything. mY companion \supplemented. WOW. She was so prepared. She had been taught 6 years ago when her son was baptized and now he is on a mission in Busan and she started going to church when he left. What a great opportunity to see someone whom I taught the Gospel to receive this ordinance. The spirit teaches the missionaries are the instruments. I know that baptism by the proper authority and by immersion is the example the Savior set. She really wanted to be baptized asap and we were able to have her baptism on sunday. The entire ward came and we even had noodles afterwards. We are working with several other great sisters who are making changes in their lives and preparing for baptism. Its fantastic. Everyone is a child of God an needs to hear our message. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is simple which is a blessing for me because I speak simply and bear testimony and they can feel the spirit.

The members are fantastic they love the missionaries and always welcome us they want to fellowship others and they are so strong in the Gospel. Even though they talk super fast and my legs always fall asleep sitting on the floor I love to talk with people and see how great and loving Koreans are. The church is growing in Korea and it is strong people are being prepared. Asia is great these people are so cool. I never thought I would be here in Korea doing the greatest work that there is. I love everyday. Of course its frustrating and not easy but I know that that is the Lord's way. I'm grateful for my family and their support of me always. I just remembered when I made that baby carrier thing when I was in second grade. Good grief I'm a weirdo. But I know help other people receive everlasting happiness. How great is our call!
Mac I'm happy that our plaques are next to each other and that you are obedient. I love it. Be good. I'm working on a letter p-days are crazy though. We are going to the Seoul temple in 2 weeks awesome.

Briggs keep runny okay really fast. I can send noodles when you finish the season. Actually I knew that the Office starts tonight but I try not to think about it--please enjoy it for me.

Jilly love you let me know about school Okay? Dad--yes get online and buy a yo for yourself. And buy some cool bike stuff too you deserve it. Crack down on the members so they give the elders referrals do everything you can to help. When I come home I just want to help people in MT. Mommy have fun at school. I dust love you and everybody. Keep talking about missionary work. Planting seeds. If you want to send me a family photo with everyone it to that would be good. I have lots but not one with everyone it it. Also I might need another box of contacts and if possible a cheap discman so I can play this pronounciation CD. Tell everyone I say hi. I got a great letter from Elizabeth Lewis and some MTC friends. So nice forward this to anyone. You can delete some of my randomness.
xoxoxo
사 랑 합 니 다 !!!!

Sister Paige McDede Alsbury

1 comment:

David said...

Glad to see you're doing well. The reference desk misses you and everyone says hi. We did just hire 4 new people. Keep up the good work spreading the gospel.