Sunday, June 15, 2008

My talk from 8 June 2008

I wanted to somehow make a record my talk that was given in the Helena 3rd Ward on June 8, 2008 because my notes were scribbled and extremely incoherent, I know its not exactly the same (I left out all of the vocal fillers...ummmm)  Anyway feel free to read this and enjoy!


To introduce my topic I would like to first talk about molecular biology.  A common laboratory experiment involves growing up agar plates of bacteria.  We then introduce a mutagen to mutate the DNA of the bacteria, this will induce random mutations into the DNA strands of the microbes.  We then introduce genetically engineered genes and polymerases to the plate to activate functionality of those affected genes and restores the bacterial flora to its original premutated state.

Paralleling this experiment is the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in this dispensation.  2,000 years ago, the Son of God performed many miracles, taught the Gospl, and established His church.  He ordained Apostles and gave them the keys of the Kingdom.  These keys authorized them to bind the ordinances for eternity.  He was crucified and suffered for the sins and sufferings of all who have and will live and thus accomplishing the Atonement.  Later, these Apostles were martyred and an apostasy took place.  The Doctrines of the church were corrupted and ordinances changed.  The keys of authority were lost and required a restoration.  

This apostasy is discussed in the Old Testament in Amos 8:11-12 "Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord.  And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it."  In the time between the death of the Apostles and they days of Joseph Smith several people including John Calvin, Martin Luther, William Tyndale and John Wycliffe sought to reform the Christian faith from corruption.

When the circumstances were right our loving Heavenly Father reached out to His children through Joseph Smith.  The church video "The Restoration"  points out that what it took for Joseph was a small step of faith.  Joseph sought truth regarding which church to join and as he followed the counsel in James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom let him ask of God that giveth to all men liberally and upbraideth not and it shall be given him."  He had a question and went to Heavenly Father for his answer.  This is a lesson here for us today when we don' know an answer we need to pray, Heavenly Father will answer our prayers because He loves us and wants to bless us.  Joseph Smith knelt in prayer and was visited by God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ.  This first vision opened the work of Joseph Smith as a latter day prophet and the Lord's anointed to usher in the dispensation of the fullness of times.  

On April 6, 1830, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was organized for the preaching of the Gospel and administering of ordinances.  God calls prophets, gives or restores truths, authority ordinances and scripture.  Through Joseph the keys were restored the the churched established.  The church is built on apostles and prophets with Christ as cornerstone. 

At this time, Heavenly Father brought forth another volume of scripture comparable to the Bible.  The Book of Mormon:  Another Testament of Jesus Christ.  Through the power of God Joseph translated the Gold Plates with much faith and diligence.  The translation was truly "A marvelous work and a wonder"  as told in Isaiah 29:14.  The divinity of the Book of Mormon is given in Doctrine & Covenants 20:9-12, "Which contains a record of a fallen people, and the fulness of he gospel of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles and to the Jews also;  Which was given by inspiration, and is confirmed to others by the ministering of angels, and is declared unto the world by them--Proving to the world that the holy scriptures are true, and that God does inspire men and call them to his holy work in this age and generation, as well as in generations of old; thereby showing that he is the same God yesterday, today, and forever.  Amen."  

President Hinckley said, "If the Book of Mormon is true, the Bible is true.  The Bible is the testament of the old world.  The Book of Mormon is the testament of the new.  one is the record of Judah, the other of Joseph, they have come to fulfill the prophecy of Ezekiel, together they declare the kingship  of the Redeemer of the world and reality of His kingdom."  The Book of Mormon helps us to come unto Him, be committed to Him and centered in Him.  The teachings found in it will fortify us against Satan.  
If you have not already done this for yourself, I would like you to take Moroni's challenge (Moroni 10:3-5)  after reading and studying the Book of Mormon, ask in prayer to receive a confirmation personally, they you will know that it is true in your heart and mind.  President Hinckley has said, "This is the restored Church of Jesus Christ.  We testify that the Heavens have opened, that the curtains have bee parted, that God has spoke and that Jesus Christ has manifested Himself, followed by a bestowal of divine authority."

I know for myself that Joseph Smith restored the church of Jesus Christ to the Earth and that today we have a living prophet, Thomas S. Monson.  Our Father in Heaven gives us prophets to guide and direct us because He loves us and wants us to be happy and eventually return to his presence.  This all falls into the Plan of Salvation, or the plan of Happiness.  Like Joseph Smith I have faith that I will receive divine assistance as I serve the people of South Korea.  I wouldn't go if I didn't have a testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I am grateful for my heritage and a wonderful family.  My parents have set an example of missionary work as well as my beloved brother Mac.  I know the many of the experiences I have ahead of me will be very difficult and will give me lots of chances for growth.  I really am humbled to to be a representative of my family and our Savior Jesus Christ.  I love you all and I hope that you find some slight enjoyment reading about my experiences in the Korea Seoul West Mission.  Lots of love,

Sister Paige McDede Alsbury






1 comment:

Sister Alsbury said...

Hi, Paige. I am missing you so much. Briggs's friend that he wrote the referral card on is setting up missionary discussions and dad gave away a book of mormon today. The kittens are fine and loving, but miss you so much. Can't wait to get your email address. mom