Today we went to the temple yaya. We went early and had a temple conference with President and Sister Burton, really good. They talked about learning by hearing, seeing and feeling. This is something that has been pounded into me on my mission. We learn by the spirit. Teaching is not talking. Its true. So much to say. Today is a special day in Korea. Its the day of the enormous test for University entrance. All Korean high school seniors take it. It makes the LSAT look like a walk in the Park. No airplanes flew today and the police surround the schools. Koreans are hardcore beyond belief. They are very diligent in studying always but that doesn't mean they are smart, effectiveness is the key with life. The other day we were teaching a lesson and our investigator freaked out because she has been studying english her whole life and she can't get over how good my Korean is, we explained Heavenly Father gives us spiritual gifts and that speaking Korean requires God's help. It really does. I can't believe the progress I have made in the past 2 months. I know it really is a sincere answer to a prayer. I have to stay humble. Did I mention it is absolutely beautiful here? Fall leaves are amazing. I even learned the onimonipia for crunching leaves.
Tuesday was also a special day it was ㅃㅐ ㅃㅒ로 day aka 11/11/2008 so funny. So they sold these sticks covered in chocolate you hold them up like 11s hahaa. Its like a marketing scam similar to Valentines day. 방 애 라 자매 and I bought them for each other. Special.
Last P-Day was the best P-Day ever. We went to 민 속 촌 in Suwon. It is a really famous Korean Folk Village. (and yes it cost $12 of my personal funds to go) its amazing. We will go when you all come to Korea. Its like what you guys think Asian looks like. I think of Korea and I think, subway, bus, buildings and kimchi. I took a ton of pictures, we went with sister Saunders and Toronto--I miss Sis. Toronto. It was sweet. Google 민 속 촌. Too much to say about that more to come later.
Okay so our crazy encounters of the week. We were waiting at a 역 for the other sisters and we were down on the platform and this old grandpa who apparently recently had surgery on his guts--maybe appendix, I don't know all I know was that he had a whole in his side about 2 inches around with guts coming out that made me want to vomit and he liked to show other people. Crazy. I am a magnet for crazy people. He say me and started coming after me, it was like frankstein, he's lifting up his shirt exposing his guts says, "you're beautiful" in korean, I'm trying to be polite but run away. So we run up the stairs. Then this university aged student comes up and stares down my companion starts saying things like "god told me to come and find you and pray for you, can I pray now" It was like a southern baptist type thing. ala Fletch Lives. She is bearing her testimony to him, and while this is going on the crazy grandpa is coming up the stairs coming after me. Actually I was scared. But of course my reaction was just laughing hysterically, uncontrollable. Frankstein and this kid that was in a trance. We ran away and hid until the others sisters got there. Its a better story in person I promise. I'll tell you all in person some day.
Monday we taught a woman who is obbsessed with Canada and freaked out because the Book of Mormon was printed on super nice paper, then she started rambling I started laughing because I knew she wasn't making any sense. My companion didn't understand her either and she's Korean. More on that lady some other time.
We ate at Outback Steakhouse for my pass-off reward, it felt like America, so good. No rice!
Last Saturday the YM/YW in our Stake did a music night which was for the most part amazing. Koreans love music and they are very diligent. They even had really cool breakdancing. Sunday night the group New Horizon came to our stake. They were missionaries in Korea in the early 1970s, and they would sing on TV and on the radio. Actually Elder Choi, a korean General Authority was introduced to the church by them. They were sort of famous. Anyway the sang, and talked about the church's growth in Korea, which is truly a miracle,their Korean was worse than mine was in the MTC. Actually Sister Palmer spoke with a translator, her husband was the Mission President here in 1965. Its just makes me realize how special a place Korea is and the people are the best. Its hard for me to think about not knowing about Koreans they are the coolest--sometimes weird, but they have such a place in my heart.
I know you hate me random emails, I'm sorry. Last week was Zone Conference the theme was D&C43:16 If we sanctify ourselves we will be endowed with power. Actually I want to share with you guys what our mission is doing and encourage you to do it too. In order to santify ourselves and give a Christmas Gift to Christ this is what we are doing.
A 40 day "fast" starting Nov. 16 and ending on Christmas. 1. Fast (food fast) for a day in a manner of prayer
2. in this attitude make a list of 10 things that "poke" at your spirit or aka natural man inclinations--Mosiah 3:19
3. take the list to the Lord in prayer
4. Covenant that you will fast from those things for 40 days
5. Each morning as you pray promise the Lord you will avoid each item on the list, ask for His help to have spiritual strength to overcome
6. At night review the list in prayer determine why you failed if you did fail in some aspect
7. Pray for more strength for the next day. Do this for 40 days, I am excited to do this which is why I wanted to share it alll with you, I know it will bring us closer to our Savior. I love you all. Being a missionary is wonderful, its tough for sure. You are always tired, hot, cold, sick, investigators stop meeting with you for now real reason and it breaks your heart. But this is the greatest thing I have ever done and I am honored to be a part of it. Love you all, until next week. Don't forget about me!
Alsbury 자 매
No comments:
Post a Comment