Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving! 추 수 감 사절 행 봉 하 십 시오!

Happy Thanksgiving! 추 수 감 사절 행 봉 하 십 시오!
Anyway today is transfer day and team Alsbury 방 is still together. We are thrilled and both really felt that there is a lot of work that we need to do together in Anyang now. Actually transfers were very surprising. Sister Toronto and Sister Hunt are going to be companions. Yes my MTC comp. and Sister Hunt who is only 6 weeks ahead of us. They will lear a lot fast. But I really feel that President is inspired and that we are where we are, with who we are for a reason. Yesterday I read a letter that Mac wrote me when I was in the MTC and he told me to trust President, and I really do.

The bonus of serving as a missionary in a nation that has risen from the dust of a terrible devistating war is the presence of the American Military. Why you might ask? Tonight I too will be having an American Thanksgiving feast. We and 2 other sisters are going to the Marsden family's house for dinner. I think he is a diplomat or something, they live across the river in the Seoul mission and the coolest thing is that their daughter Sister Marsden is a missionary in our mission. She was in the MTC with me in the group below us. Crazy huh? It would be tempting for me if my family was only a subway ride away. My comp is excited too. She loves American food. I'm serious. This morning it was raining like crazy so we canceled our Turkey Trot but instead I made delicious banana pancakes. She loved it. Yesterday I made chocolate chip cookies for our District Meeting. She has only had turkey at Quiznos in Seoul before not real turkey so this will be awesome. It will be a good break from Korean too. All of the missionaries in our mission will be eating thanksgiving either at a couple missionaries house, or some other american member family.

There are Christmas lights here and big signs that say "Merry Christmas" I've seen ones that say "marry Christmas"-hhahaaa. But its mosting westernized marketing. You say "AMERICAN" and all Koreans eat it up. I told my companion to open a restaurant and write american all over it and just serve rice and she will make tons of money. What is my point with that?? Oh yeah That stuff annoys me and I try not to think of home and Christmas. I do vividly recall 2 thanksgivings ago with Mac and we beat the Utes. I can't stand them. They will get whats coming to them. President Burton went to the U, but he's alright :)


The Elders told me that ford, citibank and other things are going under is that true. They also said the exchange rate for won is amazing. So anyone want to google the USD and Korean Won exchange rate?

This week a met an inactive member who joined the church in Shanghei China. She was baptized with another girl, I put the 2 together and realized that her friend is my friend Sister Son from the MTC. She is Korean, and is serving in Oakland, Ca, Mandarin speaking. And this inactive is her friend. Actually this is a cool story. This morning this sister called us and referred sister Son's mother to us. She said she's wants to hear the same message that her daughter is sharing in America.

One of our investigators 정 희 숙 (Jung hee sook) We have been working with a lot. She's in really bad health. She struggles with the word of wisdom, her borther and mom are members, she's really lonely and depressed, no job or money, everything she has was given to her by members of the church she has good member support, sunday we did splits. (Which is nerve racking) She came to anyang ward she had 5 member fellowshippers, from another stake with her. Which made my job easier. We are really working hard to teach lessons with members. I know that is the right way missionary work is to be done. I'm so happy that dad and Briggsy boy can help the Elders in Helena. I'm proud of you guys. Remember when I talked about that Christmas gift to Christ? Is anyone doing it? I am. Its making my life just that little boost better.

I got your package last week. Thanks so so so much Mom. There wasn't any chocolate in it so I wasn't sure if it was really from you. Good to see your handwriting. It smelt like america. Now probably kimchi(speaking of which favorite food of the week is tuna and kimchi cooked on the stove--this is favorite cheap food as of now not all time favorite) If you want for Christmas I like candy, OATMEAL--seriously its an expensive import here and I love it, maybe another SD memory card, Maybe a shirt that says MT on it for my companion, CTR ring(english) for her--size 6?? Smaller than me. Actually I don't care. Just send your love

Today is thanksgiving in America but it doesn't really change how thankful I am to be doing what I am doing. Its not about me at all. I never say the word "I" in korean its always "we" meaning everybody. I know that Heavenly Father wants it to be that way. I'm really grateful for loving parents, super amazing, wonderful siblings who are my best friends; korea, this headache of a language, all of the crappy trials I have ever had in my life that have brought me to where I am know; for the Restoration, Book of Mormon, the Plan of Salvation, a living Prophet and most of all my Savior Jesus Christ.
xoxoxoxo love you all forever!

Sister Paige McDede Alsbury

알 스 베 리 자매

No comments: