Wednesday, November 19, 2008

춥 죠!!! Its freezing cold!!

Yes it is freezing here, suddenly. Suddenly written romanized sounds like "kap-jagie" Its a good word. Korea never gets nowhere near Montana I think it was -5C today for the low. But there's wind--it hurts. Its just bad at night when we are street contacting for 3 hours, but its totally bearable. I have my big trench coat which is nice but I need gloves, hat, warmer tights or something--stupid for not buying those before. Mac is probably roasting now, I don't think I am envious. Speaking of tights did you know that I have worn stockings for over 5 months? Thats a testament that the Lord really does increases our abilities as missionaries. But seriously I know that people all over the world pray for missionaries and that the Atonement is Infinite and has and will continue to bless missionaries in doing difficult--or seemingly impossible things. Like having physical strength, overcoming my fears, and speaking a completely upsidedown inside out language.

Last P-Day I ran 6 miles. Yes I'm still kind of insane, oh well, we had no plans my comp. wanted to write letters so I ran and ran, it was wonderful. Good grief I was shocked when you told me the price of gas. Wowzers. Gas is expensive here too, most cars are diesel and about 95% are Kia, Hyundai or Samsung. yeah you were interested in that--sorry.

Best thing of the week, our investigator, 김 현 주 (kim hyunju) got baptized. 아사! So cool. Her husband is from Iran and the elders found him 2 years ago--wait maybe i've already talked about her. Anyway she's awesome, so sweet. She had a hard time giving up coffee but was able to overcome her addiction. Elder Fisher baptized her. I really have a ton of respect for the Elders in our zone. They were saying how they were jealous that we have had 3 baptisms this transfer and none of the elders have had any. Kind of bothered me because its not about us, I know its the Spirit that teaches. This is the Lord's work and we are just privileged to be a tiny part of it. I know that if we are obedient and faithfull the Lord will bless us with miracles, and He does. And that just doesn't apply to missionaries.

Cultural experience of the week. We have this investigator who we teach every tuesday and she makes us lunch. Usually its extremely disgusting and the worst part is she stares intently at me as I eat so I try and make my happy face, and keep saying 맛 있에요---literally taste exists. This week was a new experience. She made this soup. koreans love soup. Big chunks of something brown, but didn't look like beef. Instantly I knew what it was. I had heard of this food once upon a time. Maybe similar to blood sausage. Anyway it was broth made with cow blood, intestines stuffed with cow blood and gukky stuff-ya know the stuff you probably aren't supposed to eat in the turkey on Thanksgiving. I don't recommend this to any of you. I'm getting sick here typing this. AHHHHH!!! It was horribly, awfully disgusting. I dry heaved but covered it up. Thankfully our investigator went to the bathroom and 방 자매님 scooped it up and ate the rest. The sad thing is she doesn't like it either. hahaaa. To make it up to her I bought her Coldstone yesterday. Yes coldstone!! Way too expensive though.

A cool thing about covering the whole stake is that we will get to see 4 Primary programs. We've seen 2 already. They were so awesome. The crazy thing is that I could understand everything they said. I only know a couple of primary songs in Korean but I sang along in english in my head. Korean kids are my favorite, 2nd place goes to the Grandmas. They are really into Korean rock, paper scissors, which is way harder than the American way, and they always want to play me because they can usually win, but after they win they kick me. Ehh whatever.

Next P-Day is Thanksgiving, also transfer day. So no plans. I might be in a new place or with a new comp. Neither of which I really want. I'm really lucky to get along with my companion and learn so much from her. Kind of worried about potential future companions--stressful. President Burton is inspired. He said we will "likely" stay together. I sort of feel selfish for having the only Korean companion--a new one is coming next week so my comp is happy.Sister Toronto is having a really hard time, I love her a lot. I know we have our specific trials for a reason. Sometimes I feel so undeserving of the Lord's blessings. But I know that He loves everyone the same. Like Elder Wirthlin said "Come what may and love it" Speaking of General Authorities, Elder Scott is in Seoul this weekend to meet with mission presidents.

So good to hear from you guys each week. Briggs are you going to send me a CD of you singing? I'm going to get the package today, thank you! Christmas...errr whatever, anything American,. Ahh I just realized that this will be my first Christmas that my stocking won't be stuffed full of oranges. Love you all 사 랑 해 요!!!

Alsbury 자매

No comments: