Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I heart Korean

time for another scrambled thought email from Sister Alsbury...
The time in the MTC is going by so fast it feels like it was just last tuesday and I was emailing. Tomorrow 44 new Korean missionaries come in and that is awesome. We are excited for them to come because I know exactly how they will feel.

Saturday I had probably my greatest MTC experience to this point. We go to the the TRC on Saturdays, and we have a teaching appointment. We have to do a language task first, i.e. last week we had to eat a dinner with them. I'm going to have to buy a tape recorder because Korean is just so fun and funny. I like to say "I will eat well" and "Kimchi tastes exactly right" Okay onward with the story. So Saturday was our first time teaching in Korean. yes quite nerve racking. But I made a goal not to bring in an Korean notes with me. No body else in our district did that, so I prayed extra hard. I know that Heavenly Father answers our prayers because there is no way I could learn Korean this fast without divine help. Anyway so Sis. Toronto and I were teaching Lesson 1--the Restoration. Our "investigator" was a Korean girl who was learning English at the BYU ELC. Her english is well--alright. So I'm teaching her about God calling Prophets and she says In broken english. "I'm not a member of your church but I think I know what I prophet is" Okay internal Paigey freak out moment. I wanted to pause the whole situation and and be like ahhhh!!! She was a real investigator of the church. I was just praying that I would say things that would touch her and bec understood by her. Thank goodness testimony is one of the first things they teach us at the MTC. She said she would read the Book of Mormon and that there was just something warm and good about us. I loved it!! It was just an adrenaline high. I couldn't believe I had just talked in Korean for 45 minutes. It was just one of those amazing feelings. Kinda like the feeling when your bro. Briggs comes behind from 13th place to win the race. Oh man I was and still am on a roll. I can't wait to go to Korea in 34 days and to teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I'm going to talk to everyone on the subway. Sometimes I have to pinch myself I can't believe I am doing this, this is the best opportunity of my life. Yesterday we talked a talk from Elder Holland in 2000 called "The Miracle of a Mission" it is a must see.

So yeah great experience on saturday and then another cool thing on sunday. In the MTC all the missionaries in our branch prepare talks on the same topic (ie Baptism) and then after the Sacrament our Branch President gets up and says who the speakers will be. Yeah its intense, one of those things where you are nervous/anixous I don't know. Intense to say the least. They asked me a couple days before to give the closing prayer and I assumed since my name was on the program I'd be off the hook for a talk. But I prepared my talk anyway. The topic was Baptism and I focused on the covenant of taking Christ's name upon ourselves. So President Carlson gets up and announces the speakers and I hear "Sister Alsbury will be our first speaker." Gulp. Okay It went really well I didn't expect it but it was awesome. I think I might actually like to speak in church. Its kind of like winning the lottery. You prepare a good talk and you really want to give it but only 1/30 can. Anyway I'm crazy.

I'm doing really well, I love it here. I really do. This is the best decision I have made yet in my life. I need to go but I have some time, I'm going to get on later too. Sa-rang-hamnida

Alsbury Cha-mey
Sister Paige McDede Alsbury

No comments: