Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mac is back

홍수--That means flood, its been raining for over 12 hours--now I finally understand the rainy season--I remember when I used to like the rain.
So 5 minutes ago this old man came up to me and gave me a piece of watermelon. I heart Korea. I also heart seasonal fruits I bought a watermelon on the 4th of July in honor of the U.S.
Today we went to the mission home for a special meeting with our whole mission Dr. Mark Peterson who served in Korea, was a mission president in Busan, has a PhD from Harvard and is a professor at BYU came and talked to us about korean history and and history of religion in Korea. Elder Choi from the Seventy spoke too. Basically something that struck me from what he said is that every Korean is confucian by the way that they live. The honor the scholar (whereas the Japanese honored the Samori) culture today is obsessed with education especially english--They spend all their money on learning english and still can't do it. but they are dedicated, Actually Koreans and korean society kind of has low self esteem but its getting better, they just beat themselves up. A lot of that has to do to what they Japanese did. They've never attacked any country, their just peaceful kimchi loving karoake doing people. Somethings they drive me crazy--really they do. But I love them and I know that they are special.
Brother Peterson also showed us slides of the UNESCO World Heritage sites, and the cool places that are so close but I've never seen. Sometimes I don't believe that there is countryside here, I've only seen the city, just means that I need to come back and go to all the places that I can't go.
I got a letter today and I have to tell them where I want to fly into (way too far in advance) and if my parents are coming to pick me up.

Our area has room for improvement I've never had this few of investigators my whole mission. So much of our time is spent finding. 전도-talking on the street. The prophets have said their is a better way we need the members help.
Yesterday we had a really great lesson with 문유숙 she had told us before that she doesn't understand the purpose of life and the only reason she hasn't committed suicide was that she has to provide and education for her daughters. She and her daughters left her husband for a year and moved to Vancouver B.C. for english. Last week we taped Elder Wirthlin's "Come what may and love it" talk to her door. Yesterday when we came she was completely different, I gave it to her in english and korean, she had marked it up and had almost memorized it. She said she reads it several times a day. It was truly a breakthrough. It was just a spiritual hour. She says this life is just too hard and if she gets baptized and joins the church she will have more responsibilites, and she just wants the easy way out. We explained that after we are baptized life doesn't get easier but its easier to handle the hard times, we taught straight from the scriptures and it really was the spirit directing us, my mind was led to scriptures that she really needed to hear. PMG chapter 2 is a amazing, if we study the doctrines of the Gospel we will be prepared and our minds englightened when we need it. She still is afraid to come to our church because she has been going to the church infront of their apartment for so long. We'll see.
I ate a red bean popsicle yesterday it was good--beans yes good sometimes. I had a dream in Korean it was weird I was trying to explain to Briggs how to get home but the Seoul subway was on the way to our house and Briggs spoke korean too.
this elder today told me told that since he and I are both fluent in Korean (not true) that we should start the translation of the Book of Mormon into the click language. I thought that was funny. We had a long subway ride today.
Dad you have my permission to what you need, you are the boss. Mac is home weird. What is he like? Is his voice still kinda girly? I'm sad about Jazz dying too. She's a good girl. We've been emailing for 45 minutes and I'm still soaking wet. I love you 사 랑 해 요

알스베리 자매선교사
Representing the Savior and Team Alsbury

No comments: